WHAT ARE SOME DO’S AND DONT’S WHEN APPROACHED BY AN INSURANCE ADJUSTER RIGHT AFTER AN ACCIDENT?
You do not have a legal obligation to speak to an adjuster without a lawyer.
If you don’t have a personal injury lawyer working for you but are appraoched by an insurance adjuster right after an accident, here are some tips:
- When approached by an insurance adjuster, always obtain their full name, address, telephone number and company they work for.
- Ask the adjuster who’s interest they represent. Odds are its not yours.
- It is fine to provide your full name, address and telephone number to an adjuster, but tell them you are hiring a personal injury lawyer.
- Always take notes and of your conversations with insurance adjuster at the time of the conversation or immediately after.
- Ask the adjuster if they are aware of any witnesses and if so, obtain the name and contact particulars of the witness.
- If asked about your injuries, inform the adjuster that you will provide more particulars after you speak to your injury lawyer.
- Never provide details about your injury and your evidence without first speaking to an injury lawyer. It is fine to provide general information about your injuries, but keep it general.
- Don’t speak to an adjuster if you can avoid it. Hire a personal injury lawyer right away.
- Never agree to sign or prepare a written statement.
- Never agree to an audio taped or video taped recording of any type.
- If you need to speak to an adjuster without a lawyer, which we advise against, stick to the general facts only – very basic such as date of accident, location of accident, type of accident and your general injuries.
- Do not agree to anything such as a settlement or agree to sign a statement.
- Never sign anything without your personal injury lawyer present.
- Do not give the adjuster any documentation, let your lawyer handle that.
Ottawa Car Accident and Injury Lawyers – Working for persons injured throughout Ontario. Protecting thr rights and interests of injured persons all over Ontario.
Quinn Thiele Mineault Grodzki LLP – Ottawa Personal Injury Lawyers