What can I do as a parent of a child who is pursuing damages for an injury suffered in an accident?

As a parent of a child who has suffered injuries as a result of an accident, there are many things you can do to assist your child in receiving help and compensation needed to recover from the incident. Here is a list of things that you can do:

  • Let your child know you love them, care about them and that they are safe.
  • Take care of your child’s medical needs by ensuring the child attends all of the medical appointments recommended by the family physician. In our experience, you have to take charge of the medical care your child gets because doctors are too busy to keep track of all their patients’ needs.
  • Ask the family physician if there are any specialists that should be consulted to assist in your child’s recovery or for assessing any other possible injuries.
  • Let the treating physicians know about all of your child’s symptoms and complaints.
  • Keep a diary of your child’s medical treatments, with dates, times, names of the doctors and their contact information.
  • Keep a diary of the symptoms your child has exhibited, with dates and times.
  • Keep receipts for any medical expenses, including prescription and over the counter medications, medical devices, travel, parking and other expenses associated with your child’s treatment and care.
  • Take photos of your child’s injuries as soon as possible after the incident.
  • Keep taking photos of the injuries as time passes by to show how your child’s injuries have healed, or to document permanent scarring.
  • Be mindful of emotional and psychological injuries that might not at first be apparent. Talk to your child’s doctor about the possible need for a psychological assessment or referral.
  • Obtain the names and addresses of any witnesses.
  • Take photos of the location where your child was injured as soon as possible after the accident.
  • If the injuries were caused by a criminal act, contact police and report the crime.
  • If the injuries were caused by a dog bite or attack, try to identify the dog owner and obtain their address.
  • If the matter involves a dog bite or attack, contact the local by-law department of your municipality and report the incident.
  • Let your child’s school know about the incident and ask the school staff to keep a look out for your child at school who may be showing signs of anxiety, stress or post-traumatic stress disorder, etc…
  • Do not sign any statements if asked by anyone except the police.
  • Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer about your child’s rights. An experienced and qualified child injury lawyer will be able to provide you with guidance and advice about your child’s possible claims and offer legal representation.

Our child injury lawyers have helped thousands of children in Ontario know their rights and obtain fair compensation for their injuries. Our lawyers are compassionate and understand that representing a child requires sensitivity to the particular needs of the child and their family. We offer free consultations.

Call us at 613-315-4878.

Marc N. Quinn – Ottawa child injury lawyer