What Does a Free Consultation With a Lawyer Mean?
In general, a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer means the following:
- The lawyer will meet with you at his or her office and sometimes at your home or hospital if you are unable to travel.
- The lawyer will answer your questions.
- The lawyer will obtain important information about the facts of your accident and also ask several background information questions.
- The lawyer will provide you with information about the legal process involved in pursuing any claims you might have.
- The lawyer will explain what law applies to your case.
- The lawyer will provide you with information about how your case may be settled. Many personal injury claims resolve without going to court.
- If your case is not settled, the lawyer will explain what “litigation” is and the various steps involved in the litigation process.
- The meeting will result in you obtaining valuable information about your options after being injured in an accident.
- The lawyer will explain how hiring a personal injury lawyer, you increase your chances of recovering compensation and improve your chances of succeeding in your claim.
- If you have no realistic chances of winning your case, your lawyer will explain why.
- At the end of the meeting, you will be given an option to retain the lawyer. Our lawyers will be up front with you about how legal fees are charged.
- If you chose to retain the lawyer, you will be asked to sign a contingency fee retainer agreement.
- The agreement will be explained to you prior to signing it and you can ask as many questions as you like about the agreement.
- You can decide not to retain the lawyer, retain the lawyer or take some time to review the contingency fee retainer at home and then make a decision.
Our lawyers provide hundreds of free consultations each year and in the vast majority of cases, our lawyers are retained at the end of the meeting. Our Ottawa injury lawyers have represented thousands of injury victims all over Ontario and take the initial consultation meeting very seriously. It is an opportunity to gain a good understanding of your situation, provide you with valuable legal advice and answer common questions people have after an accident.
If you retain one of our lawyers, our legal team will immediately start the comprehensive evaluation of your claim and determine the best course of action moving forward. The plan of action will be explained to you and you will be given an opportunity to ask any questions you may have. You will be asked to provide information and sign documents such as directions allowing us to speak with your doctors and obtain important documents like income tax returns, witness statements and medical records.
At each step of the process, your lawyer will explain what is happening with your claim. You are free to contact the lawyer regularly to get updates about your file.
Ottawa Accident Lawyer